Saturday, May 27, 2017

Week Ending 28 May 2017

I remember reading that parenting is one of those jobs where the aim is to effectively make yourself redundant. I've also been know to joke that as my kids have got older my job mostly involves the 4 Cs - cooking, cleaning, chauffeuring and cash! And not everyone sees the point of the cleaning! Well on Monday I was officially made redundant from one of those jobs! On Monday morning our car looked like this



but by Monday afternoon it looked like this.




Yes, Miss 16 sat and passed her restricted drivers licence, meaning we can ditch the L plates and she can drive unaccompanied. (The restrictions are no passengers, except those legally permitted to supervise, and no driving unsupervised between 10 pm and 5 am - it's another year before she can sit the final test and become fully licensed). So I'm no longer employed as a chauffeur. For so many years my afternoons have been punctuated by gym drop-offs and pick-ups that it is rather strange to simply wave her off. I'm sure I'll get used to it!

At least there was no danger of my getting bored with all my spare time this week. We found out on Tuesday that our move was definitely happening but it had to be on Saturday, not the following Monday as we had expected. And by Saturday I mean the movers would arrive at 8 am and we had to have everything packed and ready to go. We had been led to believe the movers would be packing as well, but it appears that was misinformation. So I've been rather busy and a lot of my week looked like this.

I keep humming the song Little Boxes - even though not many of ours were little.



However, some homeschooling did happen - it was a great way to do something productive when we were sick of boxes!


I discovered Ian McKellan reading Robert Fagles translation of The Odyssey on YouTube so by using two devices we could read and listen at the same time. It helped me concentrate (I've been a little distracted all week) and let Miss 16 compare different versions as she has been reading from a different translation.

The movers came on Saturday and were very efficient at wrapping all the furniture and other big stuff and loading it all into the container, while I trundled back and forwards between home and our temporary home with things we wanted or needed to take with us, hoping all the while that we weren't forgetting anything important since we can't access our stuff while it's in storage.

Sadly the shift hasn't been without hiccups. The most frustrating is the failure of any of the gas appliances to work, despite us being assured that there was plenty of gas. No hot water and no hob for cooking is a bit limiting. At least there is electric heating as well as gas.  Currently we are driving back home  (15-20 minutes each way) for showers but once the repair crews start on Monday that option will be out.  Fingers crossed the gas issue will be sorted by then. Just in case I'm planning menus that don't need the hob. And to add to our woes our cat has disappeared - sadly from our new place,  not from home. Hopefully she is just sulking and lying low and will reappear when hunger gets the better of her.

That's all for for now. The new place doesn't have Internet either (actually that may be the most frustrating hiccup since I'm not sure it will be rectified, while I'm pretty sure the gas issue will be sorted - hopefully sooner rather than later) so I'm posting this from home while the rest of the family is grabbing a shower.

Hopefully everything is running more smoothly by next week.


3 comments:

  1. Oh Sandra! How complicated it all sounds -- I so sorry to hear about the internet and gas issues! Ack! I have had to live for spells without either (tho not at the same time), and it's hard! {{hugs}} and prayers that things smooth out!

    Also, we really like Robert Fagles' translations for The Illiad, The Odyssey, also Sophocles' Theban plays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats to Miss 16! I must say I like the idea of the L plate displayed so it's more clear that it's a student driver. My youngest will be starting drivers ed in a couple weeks so my own chauffeur duties will eventually diminish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the L plates had the desired effect -presumably to make other drivers more considerate of a learner. In our experience this wasn't the case.

      Delete