Saturday, January 7, 2017

Week Ending 8 January 2017

Given that birding is one of Miss 16's favourite things to do, this has been a good week for her as we've managed to get out everyday. As a result I've already seen over half the number of species I saw all last year, while she is getting close to that number as well. (She got to travel a few places last year, including overseas, meaning she saw many more birds than I did).  All that birding in different spots meant plenty of driving practise so a double reason for being happy - at least if you are Miss 16!


There's also been lots of reading. Somehow I've managed to finished six books so far this month. My favourite was probably Letters from Skye (I obviously enjoy epistolary novels that feature strong, somewhat unconventional female characters since 84 Charing Cross Road and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society are among my favourite reads). The most interesting was Georgia, historical fiction based on the life of Georgia O'Keeffe. I also tackled a steampunk novel (The Clockwork Angel) since that is one of the categories in Popsugar's 2017 reading challenge. While it won't rank as one of my favourite reads I enjoyed it more than I thought I might. I haven't been keeping a close eye on Miss 16's reading (too busy with my own books)  but I know her current read is an Ellery Queen mystery novel.



After spending hours trying to decide between two books for her animal behavior course Miss 16 finally made her decision. So I've ordered a second-hand copy that will hopefully arrive before we are ready to start. It definitely pays to shop around. I know international postage is pricey but several places wanted to charge me $US75 - on a book that cost less than $US10! I know the actual cost is nowhere near that and I ended up buying a slightly more expensive used copy from a retailer charging less than $US10 postage. Big difference! Miss 16 also settled on New Zealand history for her final course. I use the word settled because I don't think there is any real thirst for the subject, more a feeling that it's something she should do and it would look good on her transcript. So I'll put off organizing this course just yet in the hope something else will light her fire. If not I can easily pull it together quickly in the final week of our break. My PhD in history has to be of some use! After our discussions last week I also updated her academic transcript. I think she was pleasantly surprised with how it looked once we translated what we've done into academic speak.

Miss 22 continues to keep us busy with virtual travel. This week involved general sightseeing around London, plus a few day trips.
Sightseeing in London


Stonehenge, Bath and Stratford-Upon-Avon.

 Linking to the Weekly Wrap-Up over at Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers.

1 comment:

  1. That Stonehenge picture is amazing!!! Definitely a bucket list destination for me!

    ReplyDelete