Saturday, December 10, 2016

Week Ending 11 December 2016

* We went birding again this week. No new birds unfortunately but it was still a great day out. I'm really glad I'm able to get Miss 16 back out in the field again. Her opportunities have been pretty thin on the ground in the second half of this year as a result of my limitations. There was also a committee meeting for our local ornithology branch. We're both on the committee. Meetings aren't nearly as enjoyable as being out in the field actually birding though!
* We rewatched Arsenic and Old Lace with Miss 16 pausing the DVD every time she wanted to answer one of the questions from our curriculum.

The first of our virtual field trips this week was to Bruges.

* Miss 16 made Nanimo Bars, one of our Christmas traditions from the time we lived in Canada. Both Mr 24 and Miss 21 are Canadians by birth so it's nice to retain a few links.
* Miss 16 and I went to the tree farm to pick out our live tree. We do most of our decorating at the start of December but leave the live tree until 10-14 days before Christmas. The summer heat means it won't look at it's best on the big day if we get it much earlier, no matter how much love and attention we provide. Getting the tree into the house and set up is always a hassle but I love the smell - Christmas wouldn't be the same without it - so we persevere every year!

Our second virtual field trip - courtesy of Miss 21 - was to Copenhagen

* We went to the mall and a few other places to do make a start on Christmas shopping, including gifts to leave under the Wishing Tree. I hate malls and shopping with a passion, but it wasn't as bad as I'd feared.
* I devoted some time to planning out Miss 16's  English course, locating and roughly - very roughly- scheduling a variety of resources, including Stewart English, Lightning Literature, Bravewriter Boomerangs, Vocabulary from Classical Roots, Sound and Sense (Poetry), plus Teaching with 50 Great Short Stories plus a few other things I found on my shelves or in my digital files. We won't complete every book, but pick and choose e.g. I'm aiming for between 5 and 10 of the short stories.
* A copy of Practical Statistics for Field Biology arrived from the library. At first glance the explanations look good and I think she will enjoy it. But there are no exercises! So I'll have to search online to see if I can find a course which has used the text and which has assignments (hopefully with an answer key), or else find stats exercises from elsewhere and try and coordinate them. I could give up on it entirely but I think the biology context will really help make statistics more palatable so I'll try and find a way to make it work for us.

Linking to the Weekly Wrap-Up and Homeschool Highlights.

5 comments:

  1. a good week had, you should share your Nanimo Bars with us eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been 25 years since the awesome trip my Dad provided for our family backpacking through Europe, but the pictures your daughter provided of Bruges and Copenhagen bring the memories rushing back. I hope she's loving every minute of her trip.

    I so enjoy reading your curriculum picks for Miss 16--you get me thinking about my Rose Red.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great week. I love the language arts plans.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great week - and hooray for Nanaimo Bars! Loving your virtual field trip photos again this week. Thanks for linking up with Homeschool Highlights and sharing your week with us!

    ReplyDelete