Saturday, December 31, 2016

Back to the Classics Challenge 2017

I've decided once again to participate in the Back to the Classics Challenge hosted by Karen, over at Books and Chocolate. Basically the goal is to read between 6 and 12 classic books in 2017 according to the categories given and then to blog about each one. There's even a prize up for grabs! For the interested, here are the categories and my tentative selections.

1.  A 19th Century Classic -I've still got Heart of Darkness and Ivanhoe left on my 50 book Classics Club Challenge.   So it will be one of them. ETA I went with Heart of Darkness.

2.A 2oth Century Classic - I enjoyed My Antonia so I'm looking forward to Willa Cather's O Pioneers!


3.  A classic by a woman author -  I came across The Dollmaker by Hariette Simpson Arnow in a list of classics. I'd never heard of it before but the description leads me to believe it's my sort of read.


4.  A classic in translation. -  I'm going with Tolstoy's novella The Death of Ivan Ilyich


5.  A classic published before 1800 - I should pick Dante's The Inferno since it's on my 50 classics list. But I'm feeling a calling to read The Odyssey. And Miss 16 may be tackling it this year. So either of these two. I could always read both!


6.  
An romance classic - I've already read many of the top classics in this category but have yet to read Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. So that'll be my choice here.


7.  A Gothic or horror classic   - Not my favourite genre. I'm still deciding between Dracula and Frankenstein.

8.  A classic with a number in the title - Shakespeare's The Two Gentlemen of Verona is being performed locally in February so that's an easy choice since we prefer to read the Bard's work  before seeing it performed.


9.  A classic about an animal or which includes the name of an animal in the title -  I'm not certain about this category but am leaning towards White Fang since I read The Call of the Wild with the kids when they were younger and enjoyed it. Or possibly The Metamorphosis.


10. A classic set in a place you'd like to visit - This is another category I'm not sure about. But I'll probably go for something by Dickens since I'd love to visit England (especially London). Perhaps Nicholas Nickleby. I'm doing another reading challenge (Popsugar's) which requires a book with a title that's a character's name so I could get two for the price of one!


11. An award-winning classic  - I'm leaning towards Pearl Buck's The Good Earth which won the Pulitzer Prize in 1932.

12. A Russian Classic - I'll tackle Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment.

ETA Clicking on the category link will take you to my review for each one.

No comments:

Post a Comment