Sunday, May 8, 2016

Week Ending 8 May 2016

We survived our first week back into the structured learning routine after a two week break - but only just  - at least it felt that way at times!  While I was looking forward to getting back into routine things conspired against it. Miss 15  hit trigonometry in maths and it seems she is not a natural trigonometrist - nor does it likely to become her favourite branch of mathematics. Maths was slow, slow going this week and I was needed a lot more than usual.

When your big sister is overseas you start your day with breakfast in front of the computer, catching up on her travels!

The other main thing that stopped us finding our groove this week was that it was newsletter publication week. Miss 15 is the editor of the our ornithology's group's newsletter and putting it together always ends up having to be done at the last minute, taking longer than planned and involving an unexpected hassle or two. She was also on deadline to submit the regional column she writes for the national ornithology magazine. At least they are both out of the way now.



We did manage a couple of  ornithology field trips. One was especially successful, netting us three new birds for the year - all white as well! We also attended an ornithology meeting. The focus was on conservation efforts and the disquieting question was how do we decide where to focus our efforts given the conservation budget is limited - should we just leave some species to their fate and concentrate our resources on others? A tough question that does not have an easy answer.

We saw these four white bird species on one field trip. It was the first time we'd seen three of them this year.

Despite being more involved in homeschooling than usual this week I did still find time to read. I managed ten books in April. My two favourites were Wilkie Collins' The Woman in White and Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. I'm really surprised I enjoyed the last one since I don't normally enjoy dystopian literature. I only picked it up because I had heard a lot of good things about it and Popsugar's 2016 Reading Challenge  required a dystopian novel.

Linking up with the Weekly Wrap-Up over at Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers.



1 comment:

  1. I can not even imagine tackling Trig!! And I love that she does the newsletter. So often, as I am watching our birds out the window, I think of you and your girl and all the lovely bird adventures you have been on.

    ReplyDelete