Sunday, February 14, 2016

Back to the Classics Challenge 2016

I felt that my Classics Club reading challenge was in a bit of a rut and I was having difficulty deciding which books to read next. Then I discovered the Back to the Classics Challenge 2016 over at Karen's  delightfully named Books and Chocolate blog. Problem solved. Simply slot some of the books already on my Classics Club challenge list into Karen's categories.  She has a couple of categories that I can't easily fit any of my titles into but that isn't a problem. My Classics Club list isn't hard and fast. In fact I can't locate all of the titles on that list and I don't necessarily want to buy them. So I'll find titles to fit the Back to the Classics Challenge and use them to replace some of my original picks.

For anyone interested here are the 12 categories - and the titles I've so far selected. All are subject to change.

1.  A 19th Century Classic  - My list provides plenty of choice her but I'll probably go with  A Tale of Two Cities.
2.  A 20th Century Classic - Mrs Dalloway by Victoria Woolf. I've actually just finished this one but have still to write a review.

3.  A classic by a woman author  - I'm slowly reading The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson. More than 1770 of them!
4.  A classic in translation - Once again my list provides a few options but I'm leaning towards Lysistrata by Aristophanes. In high school I took a class in Classics and read (and enjoyed) several of his plays. I'm looking forward to this one. 
5.  A classic by a non-white author - I read a couple last year but I'll need to find a new title for this category. ETA. I ended up reading and enjoying The Makioka Sisters for this category.
6.  An adventure classic - I'm bravely going with Moby Dick or Mopy Dick as Miss 21 not-so-affectionately refers to it. She read it for a literature class when she was homeschooling and wasn't a fan! But I'll be brave. It's length means I'll be saving it for a winter read.
7.  A fantasy, science fiction, or dystopian classic - The obvious candidate is Jules Verne, Journey to the Centre of the Earth. Mr 23 recommends it but I'm not sure it will be a favourite with me. Still the point of reading challenges is to step outside my normal genres so I'll give it a go.
8.  A classic detective novel - I didn't think I had any contenders but apparently The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins fits the bill.
9.  A classic which includes the name of a place in the title - I'm  tossing up between The Count of Monte Christo or The Hunchback of Notre Dame. It may come down to which one I can find with legible type font. I'm currently struggling with a 600 page novel becasue of the small font.

10. A classic which has been banned or censored  John Steinbeck's East of Eden was the first candidate I found on my list.
11. Re-read a classic you read in school (high school or college) -  I've only got new reads left on my list. But because of yet another reading challenge I'm doing this year (this one from Popsugar) I may go with Jane Eyre. Then I could read Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys and be able to tick off Popsugar's "a book and it's prequel" category.
12. A volume of classic short stories  - The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury foots the bill but I may yet find another title. It depends whether I feel in a sci-fi mood when the time rolls around!

No comments:

Post a Comment