Sunday, January 17, 2016

Week Ending 17 January 2016

It feels like this is the last week of our admittedly lengthy summer break. Not because we are hitting the books next week but because Miss 15 starts a two week all-day trampoline training camp. And that of course puts lots of constraints on what we can do and when we can do it. And as soon as there are lots of things on the calendar the feeling of freedom that I associate with summer just goes.

Sadly the weather this week was decidedly unsummery but the girls and I did visit an outdoor exercise park. Obviously I used muscles that I don't normally since I was stiff for a couple of days afterwards. This park is close to Miss 15's gym and there is another park close by with a better range of exercise equipment. So Miss 21 and I are planning to make regular visits to one park or another after we drop Miss 15 at training. So long as it fits with Miss 21's work schedule that is.




A lot of the rest of the week has been spent indoors




playing games,





and doing puzzles in the newspaper.


There has also been lots of reading. I finished four books this week. My favourite was definitely What She Knew (alternatively titled Burnt Paper Sky - I didn't know it had two titles and was initially somewhat surprised when a book I didn't order turned up for me at the library). I passed it on to Miss 21 and she confessed she stayed up until 1:30am because she couldn't stop reading.

I've also spent a lot of time in front of the computer since I enrolled in three MOOCs that all overlap. Not sure if I'll stick with them all or not since, as yet at least, I'm not in love with any of them but I'm enjoying them enough to continue if I can find the time. For anyone who's interested the courses are In the Night Sky:Orion, (I'm familiar with Orion which is just as well since each night I go outside to find it the clouds are covering it) Environmental Humanities:Remaking Nature (I'm partly checking this out in case Miss 15 is interested - so far I think it might be a bit vague, abstract and theoretical for her but I'll stick with it and see) and Exploring English;Shakespeare (this one is designed for ESL students so bits of it are not relevant but it covers a play we'll be seeing next month - and I was in the mood for some Shakespeare).

The good news is that Mr 18 has been admitted to university. He received his admittance via email and didn't bother to tell me for a couple of days. He didn't think it was a big deal since he was supremely confident he would be admitted. I was reasonably confident, but since we skipped the state qualifications that would have guaranteed admission I was not taking it for granted. Just pleased he finally got around to informing me!

Linking up with the Weekly Wrap-Up over at Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers.

No comments:

Post a Comment