Sunday, August 2, 2015

Fortnight Ending 2 August 2015

It has been a busy couple of weeks.

* Mr 22 turned 23. He came around for dinner that evening. I was still suffering from the 'flu. I did manage to cook the main course but resorted to buying a sponge cake for dessert, and getting Miss 20 did make the lemon curd that I used to fill it. I felt like such a bad mother but never mind. So long as he is still living locally I should manage a better job next year. He, of course, wasn't worried and told me I should just have postponed the whole thing until I felt better.

* We had a really enjoyable visit (despite my still being below par) from my friend E and her daughter K who I haven't seen for nearly twenty years. E was the first real friend I made when we lived in Canada. Initially dh and I spent a lot of time with his fellow PhD students but once we had Mr 23, guys in their early 20s were just not enough in the friend department. Fortunately I met E at at baby storytime at the local library when Mr 23 and K were 3 months old. Even though nearly 20 years separated us in age (I was a younger mum and she was an older one) we bonded over first time motherhood. She was the sort of friend who installed an extra car seat tether bolt in her car so she could safely carry both Mr 23 and K - since we didn't have a car and she felt sorry for me walking the 30-40 minutes to library storytime, especially in winter! So I was delighted to hear they were planning a trip to Australia, and that they were tacking on a side trip to visit us. Miss 14 and I had a great time showing them around the city. Mr 23 was able to join us for a dinner one night, although sadly Miss 20 had to miss it because she came down with the 'flu.

 * The combination of the 'flu and the visit from E and K meant our scheduled two week break morphed into a three week break. This past week has seen us trying to get back into our homeschooling groove but it's been surprisingly difficult. Hopefully the maths that seemed to have been forgotten has been re-remembered and the coming week will go more smoothly.

* Miss 14 and I attended the monthly meeting of our local birding group. The speaker is involved in various conservation projects and uses his dogs to help track down rare species in isolated areas.

* Mr 17 is enjoying his taste of university. Unfortunately he would rather concentrate on that single course than his remaining homeschooling courses. I've pointed out that he has yet to be formally admitted to university; that admittance will require me to sign a form saying he is ready for university level study and that I won't be willing to do that if he doesn't satisfactorily complete his homeschooling courses. I'm hoping that now Miss 14 and I are back into our routine he'll be more inclined to follow suit.


The bird hide at our local wetland, where we went birding.

* Miss 14 and I managed a small birding trip this weekend. We haven't been out for ages and were missing it. Even though the weather wasn't great and we missed the main bird we hoped to spot it was a good outing. We spotted 23 different species. Our favourite was the Redpoll. Even though it is an introduced species it's cheerful red cap always makes us smile.

* I've managed to get through more than twenty books during July - more than in any other month so far this year. In fairness most were short, light reads consumed while I was recovering from the 'flu and thus not up to doing much else. My favourite reads of the month were Running the Rift by Naomi Benaron, Tatiana de Rosnay's A Secret Kept, Anita Diamant's The Boston Girl and The Truth According to Us by Annie Barrow. For the first time all year I didn't read a single classic during the month, a mistake I won't repeat during August.

Linking up with  Weekly Wrap-Up over at Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers.







2 comments:

  1. I hope you are completely well. It sounds like a good week anyway.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Dawn. I'm slowly recovering but this 'flu seems to stick around. I know lots of people who have taken a month or more to get back to normal :-(

      Delete