Sunday, May 3, 2015

Week Ending 3 May 2015


In our homeschool this week… Miss 14 and I are finishing up a self-designed Shakespeare course. We've incorporated several MOOCs and the final one - Shakespeare in Community - has just started. As a result we're reading Romeo and Juliet (the only  new play we need to read - the other three we've already covered). I forgot to order our favourite Oxford School Shakespeare version so we are do this play a little differently. Fortuitously I read about SmartPass audio guides (basically two audios of the play - one version is plain; the other interspersed with helpful commentary) then discovered they were available via Audible and I could sign up for a free 30 day trial. Miss 14 doesn't see herself as an audio learner so we grabbed a copy of the play from Miss 20's shelf (she's and English minor and studied Romeo and Juliet in one of her undergrad courses) so our eyes have something to do as our ears listen. There are differences between the print and audio versions - enough to spur interesting discussion but not too many to be irritating. I'm impressed with the quality of the guide and would recommend it, especially to anyone nervous about covering Shakespeare. I also dug around on my computer and discovered I had a couple of study guides (one from Secondary Solutions and one from Classroom Complete Press - probably downloaded for free or incredibly cheaply from Currclick at some point in the distant past.) So we're throwing in some activities from these as we go. Our local theatre is performing Romeo and Juliet next month and we're looking forward to attending with some fellow homeschoolers. It'll be a good way to wrap up our course.


Places we’re going and people we’re seeing… Mr 17 spent the bulk of the weekend helping to run a Great Race type event for Venturers (Scouts aged 14-18). As a result he was all over the city. Miss 14 attended an all day first aid course this weekend. She also spent hours coaching and training at the gym during the week while he spent hours working at the supermarket bakery. I didn't really go anywhere which is how I like it.

My favourite thing this week was... walking the dog on some lovely autumn days. I love the sound of leaves crunching underfoot!


My kids' favourite thing this week was… Miss 14's would have been swimming. Except we ended up not being able to go because a plumber and electrician were due to call and I really wanted our hot water restored! So I'll have to make sure we get to the pool this coming week.



Things I’m working on… Mulling over the best way to handle my underachiever. Figuring out how much to push him and how much to back off, trust that he has the skills in place and when it counts (ie next year when he is out in the "real world" either studying or working) he'll choose to put them to good use. If not I'll have to trust that he's smart enough to learn from the natural consequences that will inevitably result. I've got to remember that it is his life and not mine - but it is really frustrating when he doesn't want to put in the effort required to produce work of the quality I believe he is capable of. Rant over!

I'm also working on finishing Darwin's On Origin of Species for my Classics Club challenge. It's tough going (any version I can find has small font and the writing style is long, slow and detailed) and I'm really having to force myself to persevere and complete the chapter per day goal that I've set myself. But I'm more than half way through.

I’m cooking… whatever I can that doesn't require a hob. At least the oven is back in service and I'm hoping the hob will be repaired this week. It's a hassle having to make do without it.

I’m grateful for... a working oven and working hot water.


Something I am ogling or have my eye on… A new cookbook by one of my favourite cooks. Confession time - I've already caved and bought it even though I really didn't need another cookbook!


A photo, video, link, or quote to share (silly, serious or both!)…
  

This is what Miss 20's room looks in the week prior to a major test. A very large, detailed, colour-coded mind map has taken over one wall, while post-it notes have sprung up on the side of the dresser by her bed. They've got information on both sides and the location means it's easy to flip them over and check what's on the back apparently. I forgot to grab a snap of the several large stacks of notecards/flashcards scattered on her desk. One advantage of having older kids at home while they are studying at university is that the younger kids see first hand the effort that university demands.

Linking up with Kris's Weekly Wrap-Up.















  • In my life this week…
  • In our homeschool this week…
  • Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
  • Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
  • My favorite thing this week was…
  • My kiddos favorite thing this week was…
  • Things I’m working on…
  • I’m cooking…
  • I’m grateful for…
  • I’m praying for…
  • I rewarded my kids this week by…
  • Something I am ogling or have my eye on…
  • A photo, video, link, or quote to share (silly, serious or both!)…
  • - See more at: http://www.ihomeschoolnetwork.com/homeschool-journal/#sthash.2FmpJxDB.dpuf














  • In my life this week…
  • In our homeschool this week…
  • Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
  • Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
  • My favorite thing this week was…
  • My kiddos favorite thing this week was…
  • Things I’m working on…
  • I’m cooking…
  • I’m grateful for…
  • I’m praying for…
  • I rewarded my kids this week by…
  • Something I am ogling or have my eye on…
  • A photo, video, link, or quote to share (silly, serious or both!)…
  • - See more at: http://www.ihomeschoolnetwork.com/homeschool-journal/#sthash.2FmpJxDB.dpuf













  • In my life this week…
  • In our homeschool this week…
  • Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
  • Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
  • My favorite thing this week was…
  • My kiddos favorite thing this week was…
  • Things I’m working on…
  • I’m cooking…
  • I’m grateful for…
  • I’m praying for…
  • I rewarded my kids this week by…
  • Something I am ogling or have my eye on…
  • A photo, video, link, or quote to share (silly, serious or both!)…
  • - See more at: http://www.ihomeschoolnetwork.com/homeschool-journal/#sthash.2FmpJxDB.dpufv













  • In my life this week…
  • In our homeschool this week…
  • Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
  • Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
  • My favorite thing this week was…
  • My kiddos favorite thing this week was…
  • Things I’m working on…
  • I’m cooking…
  • I’m grateful for…
  • I’m praying for…
  • I rewarded my kids this week by…
  • Something I am ogling or have my eye on…
  • A photo, video, link, or quote to share (silly, serious or both!)…
  • - See more at: http://www.ihomeschoolnetwork.com/homeschool-journal/#sthash.2FmpJxDB.dpufv

    1 comment:

    1. Teenagers are hard sometimes! lol But it is all definitely worth it! Glad you got your oven and hot water working!

      http://bygloryalone.blogspot.com/2015/05/educating-emme-high-school-changing.html

      ReplyDelete