Sunday, November 9, 2014

Two Weeks Ending 9 November 2014

This past two weeks have been filled with: -





Cricket - Mr 16 trains three nights each week then has a game that lasts all day on Saturday. Last weekend he took a knock to the shoulder - cricket balls are hard and, depending on the bowler, they can travel fast. Once he was home the first thing he did was snap a photo to post on Facebook - before putting ice on the lump!



Trampolining - Miss 13 is training four days each week. Plus she now coaches two hours each week. Last weekend she had the final module this year for the coaching/leadership course she is doing. This weekend it was a whole squad practice for the display they'll be presenting at the club's end-of-year prize giving. I'm not at all sporty. As a teen I routinely wrote notes (which my mother happily signed) excusing myself from PE class at school, until the teacher told me I didn't need to bother any more, and I sat happily on the bleachers reading. So it amazes me that I have two sporty kids and spend so much of my life driving to and from practices, games and competitions. The video above is one of the routines she competed at Nationals last month.

MOOCs - Miss 13 and I are both really enjoying our Shakespeare class. Last week's focus was on A Midsummer Night's Dream and the theatre in the Shakespeare's time. We'd read this play earlier in the year so it was a light week work wise. This week's play was The Merchant of Venice and the lectures looked at money and commerce. Of the four plays we've done so far I felt we got the most out of this one, probably because we were able to start with Leon Garfield's Shakespeare Stories version and then proceed to read the play from the Oxford School Shakespeare. Definitely the best way for us to tackle the Bard.  We're enjoying the class on Laura Ingalls Wilder more now that it is focusing on the books themselves. Last week was Little House in the Big Woods. This week was Farmer Boy, a title that never fails to make us hungry while we are reading it. Our history course is nearing the end, especially for Miss 13 who has decided to watch a lecture segment every day rather than just getting through one topic (which usually has either three or four segments) each week.

Homeschooling - Miss 13 is finished for the year. All bar the history MOOC which was a last minute addition I sprang on them both. The other MOOCs she's doing for fun and is free to discontinue if she chooses. Mr 16 is dragging the chain in finishing up his loose ends. He did finally finish Saxon Algebra 2 this week. That leaves a poetry unit on Robert Frost and some Economics. Dh is in charge of Economics. For most of the year he has been requiring an essay per chapter but the essay competition Mr 16 decided to enter got them out of routine. So Dh has decided on a combined test for the remaining chapters. He's just got to write it. Hopefully this week. I want everything done. So long as the test gets written I'm planning to play the mean mother card - "If you want to use the car make sure you get the last of the work finished by the end of this coming week". Intrinsic motivation would be great but in its absence I'll play whatever card I've got!




Fireworks - Guy Fawkes day was this week and it is the only time of year that fireworks are sold here. In our family the guys love them but the girls do not. Mr 16 made the most of it this year. The day before Guy Fawkes he went around to Mr 22's flat and joined him and his flatmates for their fireworks. On the day itself they let fireworks off at Venturers and then he went to a large public display with a friend. Then the night after he let off our fireworks along with Dh and my mother-in-law.

Birding - We haven't actually been out this week but have been busy none the less. Miss 13 and I were asked to take over as editors of our regional newsletter so we've spent some time working on her first edition. Lots of technical skills being acquired along the way. She of course picks it up far quicker than me. I hope to have her do virtually all the work and to be co-editor in name only for a while before handing it to her entirely.  She's also been asked to write our region's column for the national birding magazine and has got that drafted. Plus we attended the regular monthly meeting, which was preceded by a committee meeting where we roughed out a programme of speakers and field trips for next year.

Recipes - With the change in season I felt my cooking needed a freshen up. I have a bit of an addiction to collecting new recipes which I file away and then forget about. So I've spent some happy hours browsing through cookbooks and my disorganised box of torn out and copied out recipes, and then coming up with a list of new meals I want to try this spring and summer.

Reading - As well as the books tied in with our MOOCs Miss 13 is continuing with the Hunger Games trilogy. I finished The Calligrapher's Daughter and also read Elizabeth is Missing which I really loved. The author did such a great job of putting the reader in the mind of the main character, a dementia sufferer. I also like the way the past and the present came together.


Linking up with Kris's Weekly Wrap-Up


http://blogshewrote.org/2014/11/19/finishing-strong-homeschooling-middle-high-school-years-week-38/





No comments:

Post a Comment