Sunday, October 12, 2014

Week Ending 12 October 2014

The week was bookended with trips to the airport - first to drop off Miss 13 and then to pick her up. In between I spent a lot of time in the garden - mostly weeding, but also enjoying further signs of spring.


Our cherry blossoms are finally out. For some reason our trees are the last in the street to bloom.


I also read the rest of the Little House in the Prairie books since the whole series is discussed in one of our MOOCs and I wanted to refresh my memory. Plus I checked out an additional Shakespeare MOOC to see if we could use bits of it as a supplement to our main course. I think some lectures will be a good addition, but I'll have to see if Miss 13 agrees. My Mum had back
surgery in the middle of the week and so far the signs are promising that it should stop the excruciating  pain she's suffered for the past year or more.

Mr 16 spent some of his time working working through the certification process that will allow him to be moderator at the forthcoming Scouting JOTI (Jamboree Over The Internet). He had his first game of cricket for the season and spent time one evening capturing the lunar eclipse/Blood Moon.



Meanwhile Miss 13 spent her time in a 4 star hotel complete with spa pools and maid service (whoever thought the team needed such luxury clearly has a different budget to us - the accommodation cost was the reason I didn't go) , a large sports arena, and a minibus shuttling between the two.
 
One advantage of my not being at Nationals was that a teammate's mother did Miss 13's hair - and she did  a much better job than I could. My hair repertoire doesn't extend beyond ponytails!
She felt she did three good sound routines in her main event and was satisfied with her 5th placing. In the synchronized event she and her partner came 4th (tantalizingly close to a medal). Unfortunately she had trouble with one of her passes on the double mini which left her in 19th place for that event.  At least her main event went smoothly.

The only photos Miss 13 took were before the competition started while her team was waiting for their practise session.
One of the first things she said when she returned was "Auckland is so strange. It has buildings!" She was referring to multi-storey office buildings. Most of the ones here were demolished post earthquakes and have not yet been rebuilt.  She also commented on how smooth the roads were. Many of ours have only been roughly patched after the quake and some leave you feeling as if you are riding a mini roller coaster.

The week ended with a pleasant surprise. We won a group pass to fantastic hotpools complex about an hour out of town. Something to look forward to - perhaps once Miss 19 finishes her exams next month.

3 comments:

  1. Oh just look at those beautiful cherry blossoms! Lovely :-) we are in Autumn here!

    Sounds like a lovely busy week with exciting doings. I do hope your mother sees improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exciting trip for your daughter! Sounds awesome! I wish my girls had found a sport they loved.

    Also, I love that your cherry blossoms are out when we are getting ready for fall! How cool is our earth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! And here's me wishing my daughter hadn't found a sport she loves. While I can see the good for her, for me the time, money and most especially the politics and sniping at all levels are real downers. I'm sure my life would be better if she weren't involved, but I also know I won't make her give it up since she loves it. The curse of trying to be a good mother ;-)

      Delete