Sunday, September 22, 2013

Week ending 22 September

I thought I'd start this week with a little multiple choice test. Would a diligent homeschooling family like mine be using this delicious chocolate cake - filled with whipped cream and mashed raspberries no less - to celebrate


a)  The one hundred and twentieth anniversary of our country becoming the first to  grant full woman's suffrage in national election,  
b) The anniversary - the 174th as it happens - of the birth of George Cadbury, who went on to found what is now a global confectionery company (we used Cadbury cocoa powder in the making of the cake),  or
c) The fact that a  maths textbook was completed and therefore no more formal math is required  this year?

The truth is revealed below!

Whenever homeschoolers get together the issues of homeschooling methods tends to crop up - Classical/CharlotteMason/Workbooks/Unit Studies/Notebooking/Textbooks/Outside classes/Unschooling? I'm never sure what label someone would put on our style of homeschooling since, at different times, for different topics and with different children, we've utilised bits of all of these - an probably more besides! 

Still,  this week  week the label  tidal homeschooling resonated the most.  In the words of author Melissa Wiley who coined the term -

"We have high tide times when I charter a boat and we set sail with purpose and    direction, deliberately casting our net for a particular type of fish. On these excursions I am the captain; I have charted the course. But the children are eager crew members because they know I value their contributions.....And we have low tide times when we amble along the shore, peering into tide pools and digging in the sand, or just relaxing under beach umbrella. The children wander off in directions of their own choosing; they dig and poke and ponder." - See more at: http://melissawiley.com/blog/2006/01/11/tidal-homeschooling/#sthash.rhmLjadX.dpuf

This week the tide was going out around here and fast.  I mentioned last week that we had a special celebration planned for  this week. Miss 12 and Mr 15 both finished their maths books and Miss 12 in particular felt the need to celebrate - not so much the knowledge gained but more the fact that she gets a break from maths books for several months!

She also completed her study of the artist Jacob Lawrence. We looked at more pictures and read some poems by Langston Hughes since they seem to go so well together. We also completed a Masterpiece Mosaic on one of his paintings. I adapted the idea for our situation. We just had six pieces. Miss 12 did three non-adjacent sections and Mr 20, dh and I applied our artistic skills to the other three sections.

With the end in sight Miss 12  put in extra time and effort to complete some work on the Renaissance which ends the history work we had mapped out for this year. So she is well and truly at the low tide mark and will probably spend the rest of this calendar year ambling along the shore and peering into whatever metaphorical tide pools catch her interest. Mr 15 hasn't quite made it down to the low-tide mark yet but  with maths and science completed for the year he's heading in that direction.

Lest you think we were stuck inside all week, heads bent over the books frantically trying to finish things off  I should add that Miss 12 spend the weekend at Scout camp and we also managed a return trip to our favourite wetlands where a friend gave us a behind the scenes tour. Since the eggs we spotted the previous week haven't hatched yet we'll head back this coming week in the hope of seeing some nestlings.

Despite the changing of the tide there will still be lots of learning going on in these parts.


We have high tide times when I charter a boat and we set sail with purpose and direction, deliberately casting our net for a particular type of fish. On these excursions I am the captain; I have charted the course. But the children are eager crew members because they know I value their contributions - See more at: http://melissawiley.com/blog/2006/01/11/tidal-homeschooling/#sthash.P6XpHKs6.dpuf
We have high tide times when I charter a boat and we set sail with purpose and direction, deliberately casting our net for a particular type of fish. On these excursions I am the captain; I have charted the course. But the children are eager crew members because they know I value their contributions - See more at: http://melissawiley.com/blog/2006/01/11/tidal-homeschooling/#sthash.P6XpHKs6.dpuf
We have high tide times when I charter a boat and we set sail with purpose and direction, deliberately casting our net for a particular type of fish. On these excursions I am the captain; I have charted the course. But the children are eager crew members because they know I value their contributions. - See more at: http://melissawiley.com/blog/2006/01/11/tidal-homeschooling/#sthash.P6XpHKs6.dpuf
We have high tide times when I charter a boat and we set sail with purpose and direction, deliberately casting our net for a particular type of fish. On these excursions I am the captain; I have charted the course. But the children are eager crew members because they know I value their contributions. - See more at: http://melissawiley.com/blog/2006/01/11/tidal-homeschooling/#sthash.P6XpHKs6.dpuf
We have high tide times when I charter a boat and we set sail with purpose and direction, deliberately casting our net for a particular type of fish. On these excursions I am the captain; I have charted the course. But the children are eager crew members because they know I value their contributions. - See more at: http://melissawiley.com/blog/2006/01/11/tidal-homeschooling/#sthash.P6XpHKs6.dpuf
We have high tide times when I charter a boat and we set sail with purpose and direction, deliberately casting our net for a particular type of fish. On these excursions I am the captain; I have charted the course. But the children are eager crew members because they know I value their contributions. - See more at: http://melissawiley.com/blog/2006/01/11/tidal-homeschooling/#sthash.P6XpHKs6.dpuf
We have high tide times when I charter a boat and we set sail with purpose and direction, deliberately casting our net for a particular type of fish. On these excursions I am the captain; I have charted the course. But the children are eager crew members because they know I value their contributions. - See more at: http://melissawiley.com/blog/2006/01/11/tidal-homeschooling/#sthash.P6XpHKs6.dpuf
We have high tide times when I charter a boat and we set sail with purpose and direction, deliberately casting our net for a particular type of fish. On these excursions I am the captain; I have charted the course. But the children are eager crew members because they know I value their contributions. - See more at: http://melissawiley.com/blog/2006/01/11/tidal-homeschooling/#sthash.P6XpHKs6.dpuf
We have high tide times when I charter a boat and we set sail with purpose and direction, deliberately casting our net for a particular type of fish. On these excursions I am the captain; I have charted the course. But the children are eager crew members because they know I value their contributions. - See more at: http://melissawiley.com/blog/2006/01/11/tidal-homeschooling/#sthash.P6XpHKs6.dpuf
We have high tide times when I charter a boat and we set sail with purpose and direction, deliberately casting our net for a particular type of fish. On these excursions I am the captain; I have charted the course. But the children are eager crew members because they know I value their contributions. - See more at: http://melissawiley.com/blog/2006/01/11/tidal-homeschooling/#sthash.P6XpHKs6.dpuf

1 comment:

  1. I love it; tidal homeschooling. That is SO us! Yay for finishing Maths! That IS reason to celebrate. We love the Renaissance, well ok, we LOVE all History. :) Happy week Sandra!

    ReplyDelete