Sunday, June 30, 2013

Week ending 30 June



In my life this week…

In our homeschool this week…We've mainly been finishing books and projects. Nothing very exciting. I think we are suffering from the winter blahs!


Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…  Out and about in the city trying to get a series of photos capturing the essence of this post-earthquake city. Miss 12 is working on the words to go with her photo essay and I may just let her post it here later this week.

Also out and about at the local wetland at 8am one morning when the temperature was several degrees below freezing.( I told the kids I expect a nomination for Mother of the Year award for this. They just laughed!) Mr 15 was taking part in a photography walk led by a professional photographer. Despite the early departure time (the wetland being on the other side of town from us) and the freezing temperatures (among the coldest I can recall in the 17 years we have lived in this city) Miss 12 decided to come along and  go on a birdwatching walk with me. We saw more than twenty different species but did feel sorry for them. Many were covered with frost and much of the water was frozen over.

My favorite thing this week was...
Curling up in front of the fire with some good books.


My kiddos favorite thing this week was…
For Miss 12 it was watching the livestream of a trampoline competition in another part of the country. It was the first time they have tried livestreaming and we were especially keen to watch since some of her clubmates were competing and one was attempting to qualify for the World Champs at the end of the year. Another favourite was receiving a bird postcard from the Netherlands (and consequently learning that pimplemeese is Dutch for Blue Tit). She did say if it hadn't been so cold the bird walk would have been her favourite thing. Mr 15 is obviously made of sterner stuff.  His favourite was the photography walk.

Things I’m working on…Trying to find a balance between planning and more interest-led freedom when it comes to homeschooling.  Figuring out the best way to get the right balance for us right now. Totally winging things isn't right for us and neither is regimented planning but trying to get the best of both is proving elusive.

I’m cooking… Lots of soups, curries, warming casseroles and pies!

I’m grateful for…Our logburner - with the temperatures this week it has been getting plenty of use.
Miss 18 having her restricted driver's license. She now takes dh on a lot of his errands which saves me a lot of time.

Something I am ogling or have my eye on… All sorts of new resources and curricula "for next year". Yet another sign of the winter blahs is that I would rather make wonderful plans for next year than focus on the nitty gritty of this year. As soon as I find the perfect resource (which obviously must exist) then homeschooling will go beautifully smoothly forever more, I'll never again doubt what we are doing, the kids will always enthusiastically engage in all kinds of wonderful learning activities.  (I'm also ogling all sorts of chocolate since I've been homeschooling long enough to no longer believe in the fantasy of the perfect resource and the perfect homeschooling life! Chocolate always helps :-) )

A photo, video, link, or quote to share (silly, serious or both!)… It's Reinvention Time . I always find good food for thought over at Bravewriter.












  • In my life this week…
  • In our homeschool this week…
  • Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
  • Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
  • My favorite thing this week was…
  • My kiddos favorite thing this week was…
  • Things I’m working on…
  • I’m cooking…
  • I’m grateful for…
  • I’m praying for…
  • I rewarded my kids this week by…
  • Something I am ogling or have my eye on…
  • A photo, video, link, or quote to share (silly, serious or both!)…
  • - See more at: http://www.ihomeschoolnetwork.com/homeschool-journal/#sthash.2FmpJxDB.dpuf













  • In my life this week…
  • In our homeschool this week…
  • Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
  • Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
  • My favorite thing this week was…
  • My kiddos favorite thing this week was…
  • Things I’m working on…
  • I’m cooking…
  • I’m grateful for…
  • I’m praying for…
  • I rewarded my kids this week by…
  • Something I am ogling or have my eye on…
  • A photo, video, link, or quote to share (silly, serious or both!)…
  • - See more at: http://www.ihomeschoolnetwork.com/homeschool-journal/#sthash.2FmpJxDB.dpuf













  • In my life this week…
  • In our homeschool this week…
  • Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
  • Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
  • My favorite thing this week was…
  • My kiddos favorite thing this week was…
  • Things I’m working on…
  • I’m cooking…
  • I’m grateful for…
  • I’m praying for…
  • I rewarded my kids this week by…
  • Something I am ogling or have my eye on…
  • A photo, video, link, or quote to share (silly, serious or both!)…
  • - See more at: http://www.ihomeschoolnetwork.com/homeschool-journal/#sthash.2FmpJxDB.dpuf












  • In my life this week…
  • In our homeschool this week…
  • Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
  • Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
  • My favorite thing this week was…
  • My kiddos favorite thing this week was…
  • Things I’m working on…
  • I’m cooking…
  • I’m grateful for…
  • I’m praying for…
  • I rewarded my kids this week by…
  • Something I am ogling or have my eye on…
  • A photo, video, link, or quote to share (silly, serious or both!)…
  • - See more at: http://www.ihomeschoolnetwork.com/homeschool-journal/#sthash.2FmpJxDB.dpufv












  • In my life this week…
  • In our homeschool this week…
  • Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
  • Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
  • My favorite thing this week was…
  • My kiddos favorite thing this week was…
  • Things I’m working on…
  • I’m cooking…
  • I’m grateful for…
  • I’m praying for…
  • I rewarded my kids this week by…
  • Something I am ogling or have my eye on…
  • A photo, video, link, or quote to share (silly, serious or both!)…
  • - See more at: http://www.ihomeschoolnetwork.com/homeschool-journal/#sthash.2FmpJxDB.dpufv

    5 comments:

    1. I hope you find that balance as you plan for next year! Hard for me to imagine the cold weather you are having when it is 90 degrees here.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Two days ago it was minus six (about 21 degress fahrenheit). This morning at the same time it was 17 degress Celsius (about 63 fahrenheit). Weird weather - but at least it was easier to get out of bed this morning!

        Delete
    2. It is so cool to read your winter posts as we are burning up in the heat here. I have never seen nor heard of a pukeko! I bet the wetland visit was great. Trampoline competition?? Never heard of it. As soon as I tell Keilee she will be trying to find it. Happy week Sandra!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. If Keilee is interested there will be plenty of videos on YouTube from Olympic and World Championship trampoline competitions. The one we watched was just a trial livestream of a club competition here in New Zealand - http://new.livestream.com/i-filmsport/extremechamps2013. Interesting to us, since some of Miss 12's clubmates were competing but - at over three hours - it might be a bit long and, with the exception of a few of the senior competitors, the routines won't have the wow factor of an Olympic or World Champs routine.

        Delete
    3. I love all of the nature center/ornithology stuff you do!

      I also love thinking of it being winter where you are while it is summer here!

      ReplyDelete